Rockwall County Historical Foundation

Preserving the Past For the Future

Home       About Us       Membership     Gift Shop    Rockwall History    Museum     The Rock Wall      USS Rockwall   Tours   BOARD   Legends

The Bailey House

 

 

 

 
The T. W. Bailey family moved to Rockwall County in the 1880s and became associated with the development of early Rockwall. Mr. Bailey owned a hardware store and later built the Bailey Hotel in 1887, to provide train travelers a place to spend the night. That hotel burned in 1903. He also served as a Justice of the Peace and County Tax Assessor for four years. Mr. Bailey was a stock holder in the Rockwall Light, Ice and Gin Company and actively engaged in management of the company until his health failed.

His sons followed in his footsteps. Scott became a pharmacist, owned Bailey Drug Store and served as Mayor of Rockwall. Perry had a garage, the Ford Agency and served in WWI. John Titus Bailey, known as “Tite” to family and friends, worked in the banking business for more than twenty years, serving as cashier for the Citizens National Bank, later called Farmers National Bank.

Tite married Rockwall native, Lucy Estelle Curry in 1906. She was a graduate of Wells College and worked as a telephone operator before their marriage. Years later, she became the first woman to serve as County Clerk in Rockwall County, a position she held for eight years. Tite and Lucy had their home at 301 N Goliad built in 1909. Their four daughters were born in this home. From a family history published in the Brown History Book: “Tite and Lucy had many friends they loved but home and family were most important to their lives.” Tite died April 30, 1919 but Lucy lived to almost 103 years of age dying on September 8, 1982.

It is a fitting tribute to the Bailey family legacy that the home was donated to the Foundation for preservation through relocation.

 

THANK YOU
BAILEY HOUSE BENEFACTORS

DIAMOND

Ms. Beth Noe

PLATINUM

City of Rockwall

Rockwall County

GOLD

Mrs. Joan Brondstad

Mrs. Jan Willess Johnson

Mike Mishler

Mrs. Martha Joe Bailey Zuspann

SILVER

Mrs. Elizabeth Cameron

Mr. & Mrs. Lorne Lichty

Mrs. Susan Reinhardt Mills

Mrs. Jan Self

Please help restore the Bailey House
to its original glory.

Donate for Bailey House Restoration

 

 
Restoration has now begun. The bones of the house are very good with beautiful wood floors and doors, as well as, interior door and window casings.

The following is the list of projects necessary to complete restoration.

• Plumbing – water and sewer connections

• Electrical -Underground conduit from pole to meter
 
• Interior electrical evaluation and repairs

• New HV/A/C ductwork installation

• Compressor installation

• Exterior faηade repairs and skirting

• Exterior painting

• Exterior ADA ramp entrance

• Insulation

• Interior repairs, wallpaper and paint

• Floor refinishing

• ADA bathroom compliance adaptation

• Walkways

• Landscaping

©Copyright 2017 Rockwall County Historical Foundation
Site created and maintained by MMHConsulting